This information is out of date. Please contact us for details on how to setup an Managed Apple ID for your unit.
Here are the major steps to create an Apple ID for your IT unit. The details for each step is listed below.
- Create an UMG – This UMG will be used to manage the members of your mailing list
- Manage your UMG – Add additional users to your UMG
- Create mailing list – This list’s email address will be used to create your Apple ID
- Verify mailing list settings – Sometimes your mailing list settings may not be correctly set. Verify they are correct before continuing
- Test mailing list – Send an email from an address that is NOT a member to verify settings are correct.
- Email Apple DEP agents mailing list information
- Setup Apple ID 2-factor authentication and security settings
- Use VPP
- Go to: https://umg.its.psu.edu/create/index.cgi
- Select Functional
- Pick your campus
- Enter your department name
- Functional Group: <you specify> Suggestions: apple-dep or apple-vpp so they are easily identify able
- Enable Group in UCS? (up to them?)
- Click on Create
Managing your UMG
- Once the group has been created, you can manage it by going to: https://umg.its.psu.edu/listgroups.cgi
- Select the group you created earlier (not the one with .admin)e and click on “Modify Membership or Features”
- To add users, click the add users button. If you have many users to add, use the bulk add button.
- Follow the prompts for adding UserIDs to your UMG.
Creating a mailing list
- Go to http://lists.psu.edu
- Click on “Request a new mailing list”
- Fill out the form with the following suggestions:
- Question 1: Keep with default
- Question 2: Name the list using a format of L-<unit>-Apple-<function>. <unit> is the IT unit name, <function> is what the Apple ID’s function such as VPP for Volume Purchase Program or “MDM” for Mobile Device Management. For example, College of Gadgets VPP Apple ID would be L-COG-Apple-VPP.
- Question 3: Enter short Description
- Question 4: Enter Desciption paragraph.
- Question 5: Select a primary owner for the account. This is most likely you, but can be someone else. (this can be changed later)
- Question 6: Enter any additional owners… optional.
- Who can join this lists: We suggest it to be closed, since managing the UMG would add/remove users from the list.
- Who can send mail to the list: We suggest selecting “Public” so that any mail from Apple will automatically be distributed to the members with out moderation.
- Where should replies be sent: Up to your unit
- Would you like to control the membership by way of a User Managed Group (UMG) or Course Group: Select Yes, then select the UMG you created earlier.
- Once the form is complete, click the submit button
- Soon you should receive a confirmation that your distribution list has been created.
“Fixing” settings in mailing list:
Even if you specified things in the list creation request, they may have not been set.
- Go to http://lists.psu.edu
- Click on “Mailing List Management Interface”
- In your dashboard you will see the email list you configured earlier. Verify the following:
- Send: “Public,Query(query,Group,UMG/<UMG you recreated earlier>)”
- If the the Send info is incorrect, do the following:
- Click on Edit
- Select “Public” from the pull down next to Send=
- Click on “Save”
You need to verify that a non-mailinglist member can email the list. This allows Apple to email you VPP program setup information as well as license codes.
Email Apple DEP agents mailing list info
Once you have verified the mailing list is properly setup, email firstname.lastname@example.org the following information to request your unit to be added to Penn State’s VPP program:
- Unit Name:
- Primary Contact Name:
- Primary Contact Phone:
- Primary Contact UserID:
- Email address for distribution list created above:
Once PSU’s Apple Deployment Program agent has added the account to the program, department will receive an “Join Apple Deployment Programs” email from Apple. Follow the directions contained in that email.
Things to remember:
- You must have an SMS capable device, multiple devices can be used.
- Store the recovery key in a safe place. No one including apple can access this key.
Once you set these, you can now login to the deploy.apple.com portal.
- Go to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5570
- Logging into Apple Deployment Program with your Apple ID
- Click on Volume Purchase Program on the left